After meeting relatives in the pretty university town of Göttingen we drove south and decided on an overnight stop at the town of Dettelbach in Bavaria. We were hoping for a quiet motorhome camper stop and found one on the Camper Contact app that looked good. As we drove into the motorhome stopover there was a large sign advertising the Dettelbach wine festival, and it was starting today!
This was not going to be a quiet motorhome stop as we had hoped for. This was 3 nights of live music, and thousands of people were about to descend onto the field next to where we had parked our motorhome. Despite all this, we loved the place and the wine festival!
If you’re looking for a quaint and picturesque town to visit in Germany, Dettelbach should definitely be on your list. Located in the Lower Franconia region of Bavaria, this charming town is known for its wine and the annual wine festival held in June every year.
Things to Do in Dettelbach
Dettelbach is a great place to explore on foot. The town is surrounded by vineyards and has a number of historic buildings and landmarks. There is also a fantastic cycle path that runs along the river Main, and it connects several small pretty villages. Here are some of the top things to do in Dettelbach:
- Stadtmauer (fortifications): This historic wall dates back to the 14th century and is one of the most well-preserved fortifications in Germany.
- Historisches Rathaus (Townhall): This beautiful building was built in 1572 and is now home to the town’s administration.
- Maria Im Sand: This beautiful church was built in the 15th century and is a great example of Gothic architecture.
- Weinbau Landwehr: This winery offers tours and tastings of some of the best wines in the region.
Where to Stay in Dettelbach
We visited Dettelbach in our motorhome and stayed at the motorhome stellplatz by the river. It’s only a short walk from the medieval old town, and there is a supermarket 200 metres away. For more information about the motorhome parking in Dettelbach click here.
I did some research and if you don’t own a motorhome you could stay at one of the following hotels I found on the Internet.
- Cafe Achtmann: This cozy hotel offers comfortable rooms and a delicious breakfast buffet.
- Hotel Garni: This family-run hotel is located in the heart of the old town and offers easy access to all of Dettelbach’s attractions.
- Pension Main-Art: This charming guesthouse is located just outside of town and offers beautiful views of the surrounding vineyards.
Where to Eat
Dettelbach has a number of great restaurants that serve traditional German cuisine as well as international dishes. Here are some we noticed, but didn’t visit.
- Gasthof zum Hirschen: This cozy restaurant serves German food.
- Da Franco: This Italian restaurant offers some of the best pizza and pasta dishes in town, according to reviews.
- Weinbau & Häckerstube Düll: This winery also has a restaurant that serves traditional Franconian cuisine.
Is the Dettelbach wine festival worth a visit?
Dettelbach may not be as well-known as some other towns in Germany, but it is definitely worth a visit. With its charming streets, historic buildings, and amazing wine festival, it’s the perfect place for a motorhome stopover. The wine festival at Dettelbach was also a fantastic example of how a local community can get together to drink wine, listen to live music and meet each other in a safe and friendly environment. We loved it!